Historically the OBCC was first started in 1906 to be disbanded due to the First World War then re-started in 1929 to be disbanded again due to the Second World War. In between these two ‘hiccups’ the ‘Bunglers’ touring side was established and continues to flourish to-day. Understandably there was some trepidation in considering the founding of the Cricket Club for the third time, but some brave souls decided that it must be done, especially as they had a ground (Burland Road) not being used during the summer months.

On the 28th September 1954, at the Clubhouse in Burland Road, an inaugural meeting was held with 21 members, including the President of the Society, who decided to form a Cricket Club. The Sports Club were persuaded to develop the cricket square and other facilities needed for cricket so that fixtures could be played in 1955.

The first Cricket Club AGM was held on 22nd February 1955 when all the club officials were confirmed and the 25 members looked forward to the first season under Brian Carter (captain). The first match was played on 8th May against a strong Essex XI in aid of Ray Smith’s Testimonial. Before the start Mr. J. Hough officially opened the Club by cutting a tape stretched between the two wickets -- 500 spectators turned up to watch and raised £55 for Ray Smith - a spectacular start!

In the first season the Club played 27 games – 6 won – 11 lost – 4 drawn – 6 abandoned. The results are not much different some 50 years on !!

The Club were running 2 sides on Saturdays and 1 on Sundays and as to-day operating with a small player base but only playing ‘friendlies’. We even made the TV screens, with the BBC commentators etc. covering an early Rothman Cavaliers’ fixture – the forerunner of the Sunday League -- in the mid sixties.

In the 50 years since the re-founding of the club much has happened with local cricket being formed into leagues, with the OBCC being one of the founder clubs even becoming league champions in 1988 & 1991 and runners-up in 1989. We had by then moved to Ashwells (1978) and have established the square and surrounds as one of the top three grounds in Essex League Cricket and have entertained various representative sides including the Essex Second XI, who have enjoyed our top class facilities.

We now run 3 teams on Saturdays plus some 2 colts sides but as always the club is run by the few for the benefit of the majority, which should be applauded by all members past and present. However, we are still playing good cricket and enjoying each others company as Old Brentwoods have always done and still finding different ways of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory !!!

We look forward to seeing any new faces.